There are some things in life I can cook- macaroni and cheese is one of them. I have spent the past four years as a full-time working mother trying to master the easiest homemade macaroni and cheese recipe and here it is!
Easy Mac & Cheese Fast Cooking Tips
- Boil, drain, and coat pasta with oil the night before you plan to serve Mac & Cheese. Store the pasta in an air-tight container.
- If you do not make the pasta a day ahead, but the pot of water onto boil first.
- Shred the cheese the night before and store in an air-tight container.
- Coat your cheese with flour before cooking to avoid making the roux.
20 minCook Time
20 minTotal Time
- 1 box elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp. pastured butter
- 2-3 cups milk
- 1 tsp. salt or to taste
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 Tbsp. flour or corn starch
- In a large pot, boil pasta until almost done (al dente), drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking,melt the butter over low heat in a pot and add milk. Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes
- In a mixing bowl, coat the cheese with flour.
- Slowly add shredded cheese to milk mixture and continue to stir.
- Cook until thick and creamy.
- Add salt to taste.
- Add pasta to sauce and mix well.
- If you want a thinner sauce, add more milk.
- If you want a thicker sauce, use less milk.
- Optional- pour mac & cheese in a casserole dish. Top with shredded cheese top and broil until browned.