Rutabagas are packed with nutrition and easy on the wallet. A 1-cup serving of this tasty vegetable provides more than 1/2 the daily needs for vitamin C. Rutabagas are also loaded with fiber, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, and vitamin B-6!
When prepared with carrots, the taste becomes sweeter. A medium carrot provides 2 times the daily needs for vitamin A and also nourishes the body with fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B-6.
Serves 4 servings
Clancy Cash Harrison MS, RD, LDN
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 1 rutabagas (1 lb), peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large pot, boil rutabagas and carrots until tender for approximately 30 minutes.
- Drain vegetables and return to pot.
- Add salt and butter.
- With mixers or manual masher, mash the vegetables.