Our Food Philosophy includes the values we place on food and where we buy it. Keep in mind- food is very personal. Everyone, including my fellow dietitians, have varying definitions of healthy eating. Some people swear by Paleo, gluten-free, organic, non-GMO just to name a few. In general, we keep our food simple, easy, affordable and great tasting. We strive to eat foods in their most natural form but I am completely comfortable eating frozen and even canned foods.
Cooking with Clancy’s Food Philosophy
- Eat a lot fruit and vegetable bought in season and from a local farmer when available.
- Include dairy products such as milk, unsweetened yogurt, eggs, and cheese.
- Buy 100% whole-wheat and whole-grains.
- When purchasing seafood, we choose wild-caught products.
- Buy locally raised meats such as pork, beef, and chicken but eat in moderation. Check out our 10 Cost Saving Tips to Eat Pastured Animal Products.
- When consuming meat, we use it more as a flavoring than the main dish. We choose a higher quality animal product but make it stretch for a couple of meals.
- Limit beverages to water, milk, tea, and coffee.
- Snacks include nuts, nut butters, dried fruit, seeds, fruit, yogurt, vegetables, and popcorn.
- All natural sweeteners including honey, 100% maple syrup, and fruit juice concentrates are acceptable in moderation. We even bake with granulated sugar but try to substitute with honey when budget permitting.
- We buy organic produce, if budget permits. We typically commit to organic purchases with our most consumed produce such as apples and strawberries. Other than that, we do a great job rotating our produce to increase nutrient consumption.