Chicken & Rice One Pot Meal Recipe
Chicken & Rice One Pot Meal Recipe starts with our Homemade Chicken Broth and is an extension of one whole chicken. We use one chicken to create 4 different meals. The idea is to make the broth on the weekend using a whole chicken. The meat of the chicken is used to create other recipes throughout the week. This trick reduces food waste, saves time, and is the secret to eating whole foods on a budget. Don’t hesitate to enroll in our FREE menu planing course that includes meal plans with our easy recipes!
Cooking with Clancy’s Chicken Dishes:
1 hrCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 4 chicken thighs with skin and bones
- 5 cups of water
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 cups rice (we love Jasmine)
- 1-2 tsp of salt to start and then to taste
- Cheddar cheese for topping (optional)
- Add all ingredients (except rice) to a stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Drain chicken and veggies in a colander. The colander should be in a large bowl to reserve the broth. Let chicken and veggies cool.
- Once chicken cools, remove meat from bone and set aside.
- Add rice and broth (about 4 cups) to the pot and to bring to a low boil. Cook until rice is done according to package directions.
- Add back in desired amount veggies and chicken meat. Save remaining chicken for a future meal.
- Rice may differ in the amount of liquid it needs to cook. You may have to ddd more water to broth, if necessary. This should NOT be a soup but there should be enough liquid to keep it moist.
- Taste test the recipe! If you need more salt, do not be afraid to add more. I actually use 2 tsp. in this recipe.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
If using the meat from our Homemade Chicken Broth, use the following parts: one leg, one thigh, the back, and wings. Don't forget to toss the bones and skins back into another pot with water, root veggies, and salt to make more broth. Cook the bone broth on low (after brining to a boil) for 2 hours. Then cool and save.
To add vegetable, used any variety of frozen vegetables and cook with the rice. Our favorite chicken and rice veggies include: carrots, onion, celery, broccoli, and peas.