Fruit and vegetable breads make a perfect grab-n-go breakfast for those stressful morning rushes. If you do not have banana, go ahead and substitute with other fruits and vegetables. Some of our favorites include: pumpkin, rhubarb, shredded carrots, shredded zucchini, and diced apples. The versatility of this recipe allows you to use existing ingredients but also get the best buy at the grocery store making it an extremely affordable treat.
Check out our Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars for another grab-n-go breakfast item!
Yields 1 loaf
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 cup ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, cranberries), chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Coat pan with oil.
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, oats, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the egg, banana, applesauce, sugar, oil and milk.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fold in dried fruit (optional).
- Pour into pan(s) and bake for 55 - 65 minutes.