Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread
Buttermilk Rhubarb Bread is affordable at only $.60 per serving! It can be made ahead for grab-n-go breakfast and also works great as a lunch box stuffer. Rhubarb is packed with vitamin C and bone building calcium. We added chia seeds for an additional boost of calcium.
Cooking with Kids
Don’t forget to get your kids involved in the kitchen. My son loved chopping the rhubarb and mixing the batter. For great cooking tips with your children, make sure you download our FREE printable that includes over 30 different ideas to have fun with your child in the kitchen.
Clancy Cash Harrison MS, RD, LDN
Yields 1 loaf
10 minPrep Time
1 hrCook Time
1 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2¼ cups of all purpose flour
- 2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
- 1.5 cups packed brown sugar (can reduce to taste)
- ½ cup cooking oil or melted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup chia seeds (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp cold butter
- Mix sugar and oil until smooth.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla to sugar and mix until well blended.
- Combine flour, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to sugar, milk, oil mixture.
- Fold in rhubarb and chia seeds into batter.
- Pour batter into greased bread pans.
- Mix bread topping until crumbly and put on top of bread mixture.
- Cook on 350 for 60 minutes or until the a tooth pick comes out of the bread clean.
- Cool on racks.