Affordable Tuna Salad
Tuna is a nourishing source of healthy fats and protein. At only $0.75 per serving, this Affordable Tuna Salad recipe is great tasting and fits into most budgets. For an added bonus, canned tuna is available for free at most food pantries which reduces the cost down to $0.25 per serving!
To boost the nutritional value of this recipe, add nonfat dry milk. For every 1/3 cup of milk powder, 8 grams of protein is added to the recipe along with calcium and vitamin D. If you want to learn how to boost the nutrition of most recipes, click on the blue box below for our free download.
Yields 4 servings
10 minPrep Time
10 minTotal Time
- Two 6-ounce cans white meat, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped peppers (any kind)
- 1/3 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries and/or diced apples (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl break up the tuna with a fork. Mix in the onions and peppers. Whisk the dry milk in with the mayonnaise. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the tuna and stir thoroughly to combine. Sprinkle in the black pepper to taste.
- If you want to add a sweeter taste to the tuna salad, mix in the diced apples and dried cranberries.
- Eat plain or spread on toast to make a sandwich.
Cost is $0.75 per serving. However, tuna and non-fat dry milk can be available for FREE at a local food pantry.